A synthesis essay is a common but very important assignment that helps students to express their thoughts in the constructive way. The main idea of a synthesis essay is to digest much information and produce a general idea about it focusing on the major categories, ideas and points. This skill is useful in every field of human life. You learn to take the most notable information from the text or a group of texts and abstract them in your own words. Learn how to write a good synthesis essay following these guidelines.
- Step One: Choose the Right Topic and Sources. You will never be able to analyze a broad topic and present it in several paragraphs. Although one can find more information about broad topics, it is easier to analyze narrow issues. Furthermore, this presentation will be more accurate and professional. When you choose the proper topic, start to collect information about it. It will be smart to read several books of the reputable authors. Bear in mind that you should avoid using out-of-date sources that will only mislead you. Thus, focus on three or five authors and analyze their opinion about the chosen problem. While reading the source, make notes to remember every notable argument and counterargument.
- Step Two: Create a Thesis Statement. When you read your sources about the specific topic, you will have your general opinion about it. You will be familiar with its major categories and points. Thus, you are able to form a firm thesis statement that will illustrate your point of view and reflect your attitude towards it. A thesis statement should look like a complete sentence that can be supported or refuted. When you brainstorm your thesis statement, reread your sources and write down every idea, thought and quotation that supports your thesis. It is vital to support your thesis with arguments whereas it is the ‘heart’ of your essay. Without the solid arguments your thesis statement will be worthless.
- Step Three: Make a Detailed Outline. You will not complete a successful synthesis essay if you do not plan it logically. Bear in mind that every essay should consist of three sections: introduction, body paragraphs and conclusion. Write down every idea and thought and plan its location in the text. It is wise to place less important arguments at the very beginning. Important arguments placed at the end always look persuasively and remain in the reader’s memory.
- Step Four: Write the Introduction. This section makes the reader acquainted with the chosen topic. You ought to place your thesis statement and any essay questions in order to let the reader know what you are writing about. Furthermore, prove the relevance of the problem and say how many authors researched it before you. You can also mention the authors whose works have been analyzed.
- Step Five: Complete the Main body. This chapter is the most important one inasmuch as it contains your entire research. Remember that the quality of your synthesis essay depends on the number of sources that have been used for analysis. If you have chosen only one source for the analysis of each point of your problem, the quality of such an essay will be poor. Every idea should be analyzed on the basis of several articles. In this case, the objectiveness of your synthesis will be high. Start your first body paragraph from the first point or essay question. Express your overall opinion about it. Then, mention several authors and their articles and their points of view about it. Say whether your opinions are similar or different. It will be even better to introduce a few authors whose points of view are completely the opposite ones. Here you have a brilliant chance to criticize them. Organize the following paragraphs (and new ideas) in the similar way. You must write about every new point in a new paragraph. It will be easier to read your synthesis essay if you organize it in such a way.
- Step Six: Conclude Your Synthesis Essay. When you are through with the analysis of your topic, you can conclude your essay effectively. Say whether the thesis statement is still relevant after your research. Mention the authors and their articles that you have used for essay writing. Is your point of view similar to their opinion about the problem under analysis? In what way can one investigate the topic deeper? What other related subtopics can be analyzed in future?
At PapersMart writing service you can buy a synthesis paper online fast and easily. All you need is to place your order online.