The educational process characterized by the constant need for self-improvement. Students must read books and scientific articles that make their knowledge deeper. However, it is not enough just to read articles. Young people need to understand these texts and absorb useful information from them. Teachers check student’s understanding with the help of a critical analysis paper. A student has to read an article and analyze it critically in the written form. This assignment is quite challenging and requires comprehensive and logical approach.
See how to prepare an excellent critical analysis paper yourself:
- Step One: Define the Thesis of the Article. Every scientific paper has its particular hypothesis that makes the entire text sensible. Most often, the author analyzes a specific topic, criticizes it or provides the reader with the genuine opinion about it. If the issue is controversial, he tries to persuade the audience in the truthfulness of his thought. Thus, it is very easy to identify the thesis placed in the introductory part of the article. You should think whether the author tries to solve the problem under research and whether his solution is reasonable and realistic. Finally, you must evaluate the originality of his approach. Has anybody investigated this topic in the same way?
- Step Two: Mark the Main Ideas. While reading the article, you should write down all the major ideas that found in the text. It will be useful for the analysis of the material’s structure. Then, it is reasonable to identify every unknown term. You will find a lot of them. Use the dictionary and encyclopedias to explain them. If you do not clarify scientific terms, you will never grab the main idea of the text and its value. If you want to check whether you understand the information, you should retell the plot in your words. If you manage to do it, you will be able to analyze the article successfully. In the end, you can check whether the author has understandably written this text. It is possible to evaluate the author’s professionalism regarding his ability to present complicated information simple.
- Step Three: Plan Your Analysis. Choose several most outstanding problems for analysis. Write about the author’s ability to operate facts and analyze the selected topic well. Does his analysis sound credible? Has he performed the research profoundly? If you want to prepare a critical review paper, you should study the problem as well. Pay attention to other authors and look at their achievements. You can compare your author with other experts and draw your conclusion about his success. It is always wise to organize a critical analysis paper logically. Do not observe it from one side. Try to find both active and negative sides of it. If there are more negative elements, place the positive ones first and vice versa. You should start from the less necessary and finish with the more important arguments. Be careful while researching a controversial topic. In this case, you will need to focus on several minds and authors. Finally, you ought to emphasize the topic’s relevance to help the reader understand why so many authors investigate it.
- Step Four: Organize Your Critical Analysis Paper. Write the introduction. This section should contain the title of the article, its author and the year of publication. Besides, you should point at its thesis and the relevance of this topic. Finally, say how many authors analyzed the same problem before. You ought to insert your argument into the paper. Base your argument on the general evaluation of the article and the author’s work. Secondly, start writing the main body of the critical analysis. Make a summary of the article and share a few examples from the text to the reader. You can also say a few words about the piece’s structure. Now it is time to start your critique. Choose the idea from the text and express your critical opinion about it. Say whether you support it or not. Try to observe as many points and categories as possible to make a detailed and professional analysis. Provide the reader with the logical arguments and counterarguments. Try to sound clearly and logically.
- Step Five: Conclude Critical Analysis Paper. When you are through with your critique, Express your overall opinion about the article, its relevance, and usefulness in the academic society.